Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: Community >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

Information About Open Enrollment


Skip image

street sign that says open enrollment
5a956b467d5a7

A Note About Open-enrollment

Parents and students in the state of Iowa have had the option to choose the school they attend through the open-enrollment process for many years. The deadline to make this decision for the next school year is March 1st. Should a family decide to open-enroll to another district, the deadline of March 1st still applies in the midst of CAL and H-D’s whole-grade sharing arrangement. The purpose for this deadline is so both the resident school district and the attending school district can accurately budget for the upcoming year.

 

The number of open-enrollments can greatly influence a school district’s budget. For example, next year the per pupil amount CAL will receive for each student is $6901. According to the whole-grade sharing agreement with Hampton-Dumont, 71.5% of that amount will follow the student to H-D for educational purposes. The rest of that amount, 28.5% will remain in the CAL district to help with costs in transportation, technology, and district administration costs. If CAL students choose to open-enroll to a different school district, the full per-pupil amount ($6901) will be sent to the school district the student attends and no dollars will remain at CAL.

 

It is the desire of both the CAL school board and administration that all CAL students in grades 7-12 continue their educational experience and friendships together at Hampton-Dumont, the school with which our agreement is signed. The more students who attend school with the whole-grade sharing partner, the more CAL staff will ultimately be retained either at the CAL campus or at the Hampton-Dumont campus.

-Mr. Todd Lettow, Superintendent

 

Open Enrollment is the process by which parents/guardians residing in an Iowa district may enroll their children into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and 281--Iowa Administrative Code 17.

The open-enrollment deadline for students entering Grades 1-12 is March 1st.

The open-enrollment deadline for students entering kindergarten is September 1st.

The link below will take you to the Iowa Department of Education open-enrollment web page which includes links to the 2018-19 open-enrollment application and guidelines.

https://www.educateiowa.gov/pk-12/options-educational-choice/open-enrollment

  • RSS Icon

CAL Community School District1441 Gull Ave.Latimer, IA  50452

Phone: 641-579-6087Fax: 641-579-6408

Sign up for the News Update.

Back To Top